Love & Marriage

Love & Marriage
Mary & Bud "Ain't we cute?" 2014

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Back in My Day....

   Has anyone ever said that to you? I'll bet they have. Dad said it to me.. I said it to my children, and now I have said it to my grand kids.. But really, I do believe some things *back in our days* were different and good at the same time. I firmly believe that ALL the new fangled stuff is not all that *good for us.*  What about you?
   It is interesting, affords us lots of *quick* things and some fun things... but...
  The great granddaughter's phone is out of commission. And nowadays people live on their phones. NOT good.
   I remember having to go to our landlords to use their phone. A party line. I can still remember the phone number. 1222 J ... of all things! We picked up the phone and listened first. IF we heard voices talking we "gently" put the phone down and waited a bit, then tried again. IF when we picked it up, that wonderful ladies voice said, "Number please" we gave her the number we wanted, OR asked her to get the person we wanted. The telephone operator knew everyone, and was a big help too.
We said our business and got off. Someone else might want the line. Shared & were courteous.
   Then we got phones we could dial ourselves, with a rotary dial.. nifty! Our own line too.  And so the story goes. Each update brings more connections but are they really good? Well, good for us???
   We never knew who was calling... till we heard their voice or they said who they were. Surprise! and no avoiding anyone. But also, *back in the day* there was no one bugging you to buy this or that either.
To hear a loved ones voice was important and a blessing. Especially if they lived far away, like some did.
   I did appreciate when call waiting came out with the kids still home, and on the phone to long, without me knowing. Bud tried to get thru to tell me he would be late or working over and it saved a lot of hassle. That might just be the only really new thing, that was a good thing and saved some people!! ha ha

   I have a new fangled cell phone, but it is still a phone.  I don't text... cause I choose not to. I don't take pictures, cause my phone is a phone. I still want to hear the voice.. it says more than words. :-) Even for me, who is online a lot, I still desire to see & hear people.
    And when I'm with people in person, that are supposedly interested in each other, I do not want to be interrupted OR ignored... because of a phone or text.. RUDE to say the least!
*Back in our day* We used to go to family/friends homes. We'd talk, play games, cards, and no one ever called us there... who knew where you were? did we miss anything, probably not.
    And which one of us is sooo important or must know frivolous something immediately that we can't be courteous, and give people our full attention?? A lot of "stuff" can wait.
   I am of the firm belief that only Doctors, and Ministers are needed now! (and ON Duty Policemen, but they get called in other ways)
  
   Other new things I shan't go into.. like marking your body, or piercing it up. But just by saying that you know I am not one to like that. I can give quite a few, I think, good reasons, even health wise. But who wants to hear? Not many. *Back in my day* it just wasn't done by many, other than the sailors mostly.. lol
  
   *Back in my Day* No one had cars when they came out, except the man of the house. When they could afford it. He drove. Then woman learned to drive, but we were still a one car family. Who could afford more than one, and we never went in debt beyond our need for a house. Still not in debt for anything... :-) That's a good plan.

We planned our shopping excursions, or going to the grocery, Bud drove, Pay day was our big night out!! Every 2 weeks, supper out and go to the store.  We sure knew how long the stuff would last and if we could *make do* if a storm came & socked us in, in the winter.. we were pantry stocked. (I had shelves in the basement) It was fun to be creative... etc. etc.
As kids....
we walked, rode bikes, took city buses, and even roller skated to where we wanted to go. Much less air pollution and good exercise I've learned. In later years, I remember someone that was even a volunteer fireman and had a blue light on his bike!!! He made it there before the others, and was slim & trim! :-)


*Back in my day*  you got clothes when you grew out of them, or wore them out, or at Christmas. Not just because school started or "gee I want that." ha ha And you never wore good clothes out to play in.
Kids didn't have cars till ready to graduate or had a job and could buy it.. mean I know.. but less hassle, trouble, it was just the rule. They were to get as good grades as they could, and enjoy school, and it's activities. Youth is short lived and Adult time is a long time. They rode school bus, rode bikes, walked or parents shared in transportation or maybe some friend at times.


A lot of changes, and I am not yet convinced that a lot of it was/is good. Some things are even creating job losses too. Who needs people, when a machine can do the work of many.. Duh!

*Back in our day* We visited with people in person. Made a point to go there, drop in's were welcome, we called sometimes to see if they were home, and no one hid, no caller ID... lol
We talked, shared our lives, our hearts, dreams, wishes, sorrows, we *KNEW* each other.
We played outside a lot... as kids.. and we had our fair share of chores.. no if ands or buts, just do it.. we were expected to do our part as a family.. age appropriate to learn to take care of ourselves, and to be polite, to respect others, to tell the truth, behave in school, mind our P's & Q's, have good character and a good work ethic.  Be a good neighbor and our *word was our bond.*    After all some day we will go out into the big wide wonderful world and it will not cater to our wants & wishes. So we'd better grow up strong and be good citizens. Do your best, look your best, be your best!
    Yeah Dad... we got it!  That was our
*Back in the day* life.

Does any of this sound familiar? Sound good? Sound Crazy?  It was our parents life, our life, our kids life... I think we of our generations turned out pretty well. And never missed a lot of things that folks now think, 'they must have,'
*Back in the day* didn't have TV for a long time either... etc etc etc... yeah Mr. Blog... I still live a lot back in the day... ahhh there are more stories to tell, if anyone is interested. :-) 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment