I tend to think so... like 2 sides to a coin... what is your situation?
A friend on Facebook commented that whew their power was back on, after no lights, using flashlights, no cellphones, etc. etc. and NOW she can shower!!! Whew! she said.
I know that all along the west coast they had problems and I am sure that it caused many issues.. I saw it on the news... But I tend to think, that is a lesson in itself. Wonder how prepared they were?
Everytime ours goes out here, and it isn't often, first thing that pops into my mind is.."well now how well prepared are we for this?"
It was only in the 1940's that we had inside plumbing on our farm... :-)
Our parents, grandparents, great grandparents, lived without electricity, inside plumbing, TV's, computers, cellphones and the like...
They got up at dawn, went to bed at dark by kerosene lamp, and they conversed with each other. They hand wrote letters to those living elsewhere. They visited when they could at every opportunity with family and neighbors.. they were neighborly!
Their days were spent working hard.. doing everything from scratch and a lot by hand. No running out to McDonalds either.. lol
We lived on a Dairy farm... milking cows twice a day. my oh my I remember the huge garden and amazing amounts of food "put up" for us all summer, for winter. Mom was always "on the place." Daddy worked the fields, food for the milk cows, it also fed the other animals, pigs, chickens. At harvest time the neighbors went from farm to farm to help get the crops in. Huge long tables filled with food by the ladies to feed the men. Hard work for all, but to survive life and live you did that. You hoped and prayed weather would cooperate too.
Electricity came and radios, telephones, and on it went...I remember the party line ring, or picking up and someone on your party line talking. Politely we 'waited' till they were done to make a call. lol Our number was 1222 J of all things that that should come back. The operator could get us for you.. lol
I am not sure at all that everything was for the best "unless" we can learn to use it properly...
I miss hand written letters, poems from loved ones, and even I use the computer.. but I do still mail my bills in. Wonder how many people the computers will put out of work..hmm
I miss people coming around more often.
I miss long conversations UNinterrupted by someones phone and rudely texting something that "could wait." OR we are glued to the 'boobtube' TV. We are in the same room, but do we really share anything of our lives, feelings, needs, or even something that pleased us? hmm I wonder.
The days of undivided attention and the ability to converse are going by the wayside I fear.
And because of many issues that I won't go into, both Mom and Dad have to work in a lot of homes now...
I guess the most useful change would be in the medical line and help to fix some things... We are living longer than ever!
So the next time the lights go out, I shall again, wonder if I am prepared with oil lamps, flashlight batteries, what fun can I make of this? Is my cupboard stocked with canned and dry food that I can concoct almost anything to eat, along with freezer stuff...Got gas for the generator? Can't run everything at once, haha AND here we need blankets too, Thank God we went gas cook stove and gas fireplace...that helps.. lol
I just recently took a 'sponge bath' at the kitchen sink, I had to go somewhere and because ole Bud had the bathroom torn apart putting in new faucets..."Ya make do." Probably TMI... but along came Memories... Memories... a least I didn't have to heat the water on the wood stove and pour it into a large laundry tub in the middle of the floor to bathe. (in those days the cleanest person went first and ya shared the water..)
Ah you kids don't know what you're missing or what fun we had!! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment